Thursday 5 March 2015

Memory Book


Memory Book 
Hi, Shelagh here again. 
The memory book is a variation of my exhibit for the Clarity Challenge Design Team for March, I thought I'd try the New Design Club 'Tree of Life' as it reminds me of a banyan tree - still on the tropical theme. (The filigree leaves are parts of deconstructed earrings - I'm always on the lookout for such items when supermarkets have price reductions.)

Materials:-
  • Canvas x 2
  • Black Gesso
  • Kraft cards DL, Gold Mirri Card, white card, Clarity black coated card
  • Stencil - Clarity Tree of Life (New Design Club 3)
  • Grunge Paste
  • Stamps - Clarity Palm Leaf, Letterbox 
  • Inkpads - Versamark - Dazzle, Versafine Onyx Black; Ranger Distress Peacock Feathers, Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean
  • Gold detail embossing powder
  • Micron pen
  • Mod Podge
Instructions:-



Canvas (Covers)

  1. Paint the canvas on both sides with black gesso. 
  2. Mask off the root portion of the stencil to only reveal the tree. Tape stencil over dry canvas and apply grunge paste.
  3. Once dry, paint with more black gesso. When dry, apply gold gilding wax. (I added some silver gilding (a misnomer!!) wax to tone down the gold. (You can see from my photo there is some grunge residue near the foot of the canvas; I was going to sand it away but decided to leave it to add some interest.)
  4. Front and back of canvas were painted with Mod Podge.
Pages:-
  1. The pages were made by cutting down Papermania DL Kraft cards, punching tabs from scraps, adding black panels to front and back and mirri board panels to inside pages.
  2. Clarity NDC palm leaf was stamped over white card to fill panel using Dazzle then heat embossed with gold detail powder. A mix of Peacock Feathers, Mowed Lawn and Salty Ocean were blended over each panel then edged with a black alcohol marker and mounted onto gold mirri. (I made two extra panels which were then cut down and edged with black as before to provide the mounts for the front page labels.)
  3. Pockets were made from scrap Kraft card and outlined with faux stitching using a micron pen.

     
     
     
  
   
   
I made a variety of pockets and a number appropriate labels, the latter using the Clarity Letterbox. 

I can't believe how little time this took to assemble compared to my first book, perhaps because I knew the path to follow!

Thank you for dropping in and hope to see you visiting my blog again.

Any queries and I'd be delighted to help.

Bye for now,

Shelagh  ;~}





No comments:

Post a Comment