Hello and welcome once more to The Making Lady's blog.
As we are approaching St Valentine's Day, I decided to incorporate the beautiful palette with a 'love' themed card, not only that, there's not a single 3D element in sight!!! The biggest challenge was to select the stamps to use and on looking through my selection of CB stamps, I settled on the floral butterfly, something I've wished to use for some time. The entire image is created by stamping and masking, with a bit of shading to create the illusion of an 'add-on' butterfly.
My special Christmas present was a complete set of Polychromos and boy! did I have fun exploring. I laid down the base with Inktense pencils, taking colour straight from the pencil tip with a damp paintbrush (No 6) then added the Polychromos over.
The sentiment is repeated stamping of Love from the Mackintosh 'With Love' phrase.
Top Tip - I found it easier to ink the words, cover up 'With' with a piece of Scotch Magic Tape, stamp 'Love,' remove the tape and repeat to suit. (I used a new piece of tape each time to prevent smudging.)
· Stamps:- Chocolate Baroque Tangled Garden set – floral butterfly; Sunny Sunflowers set – large leaf and small leaf; Mackintosh Sentiments – ‘With Love’
· Cardstock:- White card 8ins x 8ins
· Inkpads:- Archival Black
· Colouring medium:- Derwent Inktense Pencils; Faber Castell Polychromos
· Misc:- Micron Pen – 005; Self-adhesive gems – 2mm black oil-slick; sticky notes; scrap card; black Sharpie.
1. Fold a piece of 8ins x 8ins card in half and draw half a heart shape against the fold. Cut out the centre and set aside. The square with the heart centre is required for this card.
2. Place the heart square over another 8ins x 8ins square and tape down around the edges with low tack masking tape.
3. Using Archival Black, ink the butterfly stamp and stamp in the centre of the heart aperture.
4. Re-ink stamp and stamp onto large sticky notes. Cut out and reserve to use as a mask. Place over stamped image.
5. Ink the large leaf from the set, stamp a number of images on sticky notes and cut out. Stamp a leaf on the edge of the butterfly, mask then re-ink and stamp again. Repeat until there is a leafy border around the perimeter of the butterfly.
6. Repeat (5) with a smaller leaf from and stamp and mask as before, whilst so doing, creating a heart shape.
7. Using a light, dilute pink from the Inktense box, paint in the exposed, un-inked heart shape.
8. Remove heart aperture.
9. Colour butterfly using deep pink from the Inktense set in a variety of colour strengths.
10. Colour the inner, larger leaves with a darker green Inktense and the outer, smaller leaves with a softer, lighter green.
11. Continue colouring these images with Polychromos.
12. Doodle a border around the heart’s perimeter with a fine black pen.
13. Trim card to suit and edge with a black Sharpie pen and mount onto an 8ins x 8ins card blank.
14. Stamp ‘Love’ repeatedly along a strip of card. Edge with Sharpie and attach below the image.
The photos are taken on three different backgrounds - you can decide which one you prefer! Meantime, thank you for reading my blog; I do hope you will visit again.
'The Making Lady.'